Tourist Lines & Museums
The owner of the 1909 Grand Trunk Pacific (Canadian National after 1919) railway station from Unity, Saskatchewan, Gary Southgate of Battleford, SK, has moved the station from Unity to Mossleigh, AB. The station arrived this past week and is for now being stored on private property about 1.5 miles west of Mossleigh. http://tinyurl.com/zygf6x5
Click on the attached link (paragraph 3 & 4) for information on the possible future use of the building:
Chamber of Commerce executive director Tom Thomson couldn't be more thrilled about the two historic Fairbanks-Morse diesel locomotives coming to Railtown, but there are community members who've got him beat in the enthusiasm department.
"There's a 36 real buzz in the train fanatic world," Thomson told the Star, describing how he walked into his office one day to find a former engineer of one of the trains pacing in his office.
Full story here.
Today, July 31, 2016 is not a day which will live in infamy, however it is a day which was remembered and celebrated in honour of the 100th anniversary of the first Kettle Valley Railway passenger train through Coquihalla pass on July 31, 1916.
The railway line had been given official government sanction just a few days prior and Andrew McCulloch and some CPR officers rode westbound down the KVR on July 30th for their own personal celebration. Very little is known about the exact location of the "last spike", however it has been narrowed down to to an area just upgrade of the Ladner Creek bridge MP 36.8 and tunnel number 8 at mile marker 36.7.
Today, a small group of individuals, railroaders, retired railroaders, authors, historians, railfans and the general public gathered to mark the passing of 100 years. The line is long gone as are all the participants in making its construction a reality but it's history lives on through todays attendees.
As no official ceremony was scheduled to occur, much the same as in 1916, a dedicated group worked together to make an event take place. Two old railway spikes were driven securing a short length of 85lb rail into a solitary railway "tie" that somehow was left in place during the CPR Coquihalla Subdivisions abandonment and demolition in 1961/62. This last single tie would also have been in place on November 23, 1959 when the 'last' CPR train rode the line prior to a disastrous rain storm that caused multiple washouts and the permanent closure of the rail line.
Two prominent attendees were Barrie Sanford, author/historian and Joe Smuin, author/historian. Both men had stories to tell of the extreme hardships and enormous efforts of the CPR to keep the line open over the years. Barrie Sanford brought an important piece of memorabilia to the event. It was a "CPR" neck tie clasp, which Andrew McCulloch was presented with in in a small personal ceremony in September 1916 by a senior CPR official.
100 hundred years has come and gone but the stories and history of the KVR carry on.
Brian Peters, Surrey, BC
CP FA-2 4090 and FB-2 4469, both 1953 MLW-builds, sit near the Elko Station in Cranbrook, BC. Cosmetically restored to their original paint schemes in late 2014 by the Cranbrook Rotary Club. Photos taken by Braedan Dunne on August 12, 2015.
CN F7Au 9169 and snow plow 55436 sit and deteriorate slowly at the Prince George Railway and Forestry museum. 9169 was built as 9042 in June 1951 and was retired in December 1988. July 5, 2015. (Braedan Dunne).
BCOL 6001 is a GMD-built GF6C. Braedan Dunne shot her at the Prince George Railway and Forestry Museum. She was the first of seven built between 1983 to 1984, for use on BC Rail's electrified Tumbler Ridge Subdivision. All were retired in 2000, and were sent to Tacoma, WA for scrapping in 2004. 6001 was saved before the scrapper's torch could get to it, and was donated to the museum. According to the museum operators, the locomotive is still operational if 50kV of electricity can be supplied to it. Photos by Braedan Dunne. July 5th, 2015.
CP SD40 5500 at the Revelstoke Railway Museum and was shot on June 29th, 2014 by Braedan Dunne.
On June 22nd, 1980, Kevin Dunk photographed a regularly scheduled steam excursion, but this time instead of CP Royal Hudson 4-6-4 #2860, we see southbound CP 2-8-0 #3716 rounding the curve at MP 18.8 Brunswick siding on BCR's Squamish Sub. with another load of happy travelers.
The #2860 is currently undergoing major work at the WCRA Museum Shops while the #3916 sees regular work on the Kettle Valley Steam Railway near Summerland, BC.
The Rocky Mountaineer excursion train "First Passage to the West" makes two trips per week from Vancouver to Calgary and return. The first day of the eastbound trip is from Vancouver to Kamloops, where passengers overnight in a hotel. The second day of the trip is from Kamloops to Calgary. On that 2nd day the train in the past normally stopped at Banff only, but in 2015, for the first time, it also stops in Lake Louise, at the old log station there, every Saturday, with a scheduled arrival time at Lake Louise of 18:30h. The Tuesday trip stops at Banff only. Cor van Steenis caught the train stopped at Lake Louise on Saturday, 20 June 2015, at 16:43h. The consist was GP40-2LW No. 8012, GP40-2LW 8016, Generator Car 9632, 4 coaches, 5 dome cars, a crew car and Generator Car 9271 on the tail end. The tail end generator car was built in 1955 by National Steel Car as CNR baggage car 9234 and acquired by RMR in 1996. It was the only car in the consist not painted in the purple, gold and white RM livery; it was in a solid purple paint scheme with gold lettering and a RM logo on the end. The scheduled stop time at Lake Louise was 10 minutes; a motor coach was on scene to take passengers onward on excursions. The 10 minute stop was lengthened to allow a westbound CP freight to pass. At 19:09h the train passed through Morant's Curve and at 19:53 it arrived at Banff.
The Alberni Pacific Railway (APR) has been given approval to construct a siding at Coombs. The siding will allow for the storage of historic rail equipment that will be used for interactive displays and marketing of the McLean Mill National Historic site at Alberni. It will also be used for railway motor car tours as a set on location. The APR is developing a plan for expanded motor car tours. To find out more about Alberni Pacific Railway, click here.
The Alberni Pacific Railway is a tourist railroad that is powered by a 1929 Baldwin 2-8-2T steam engine. It runs passengers between the restored Port Alberni station to the McLean Mill national Historic site.
The locomotives #7 a steam engine with passenger coaches and recently restored ex MacMillan Bloedel GE 44 Ton switcher #11. It was used this past weekend November 23 in the BC Institute of Technology's conductor training program.
Director, Western Vancouver Island Industrial Heritage Society.
Port Alberni, BC
CPR 4-6-4 Hudson #2816 IMAX Rocky Mountain Express Podcast: http://theroundhousepodcast.com/2015/06/13/rockymountainexpress/
The Wainwright Rail Preservation Society owns ex-CN GMD1 1404 and ex-CN FPB4 6861 and they created the Wainwright Rail Park and have a website which has their full contact info, galleries with 1404 and 6861, and other interesting items.
Alberta Prairie Railway ran its Consolidation 2-8-0 steam engine on September 6th, 2015 from Stettler to Big Valley, AB and return, with 10 cars in the consist. The train runs on the line laid by the Alberta Midland Railway which opened on 06 July 1911. This railway had Canadian Northern as its parent company; later the line was owned by Canadian National and then Central Western Railway. In 1998 the right-of-way was acquired by the East Central Alberta Heritage Society (except for short sections in Stettler and Big Valley) and leased to Alberta Prairie Railway. At the terminus of the excursion run in Stettler we find a wonderfully restored and preserved Parrish & Heimbecker grain elevator, feed mill and coal shed. The elevator was built for Strong & Dowler in 1915 and sold to P&H in 1918; it closed in 2002 and was acquired by the P&H Elevator Preservation Society, who undertook all of the restoration work we see today. The elevator was repainted in 2013 from the P&H and harvest gold corporate colour introduced in 1991 back to the original red colour. (Cor van Steenis).
The Aspen Crossing Railway excursion train runs 12 miles in each direction between Arrowwood and Herronton, AB, on the abandoned CPR Lomond Subdivision. The Aspen Crossing Railway excursion train runs 12 miles in each direction between Arrowwood and Herronton, AB., on the abandoned CPR Lomond Subdivision. The track goes from M0.0 (Eltham Junction) to M 22.5 (Arrowwod); Mossleigh is at M 15.3. The train station is located at Aspen Crossing, 1 mile west of Mossleigh. The train does not run on the first 10 miles of track of the Lomond Subdivision as the CPR stores about 400 grain cars there during the off-peak grain hauling season.
On 07 May 2016, the Aspen Crossing Railway placed its third motive power unit in operation, hauling its Prairie Tour Excursion Train across the prairies east and west of Mossleigh, Alberta. The recently-acquired unit is ex-CPR GP9u 1624. Built in 1955 by GMD as CPR GP9 No. 8515, Class DRS-17, it was equipped with a steam generator and larger fuel and water tanks for use in passenger service; its air tanks were located on the roof. It was painted in CPR's Tuscan and Grey paint scheme with block lettering; later it was re-painted with the script lettering, then the CP Rail scheme with large multi-mark and then the small multi-mark.
In 1986, it was chop-nosed and rebuilt by the CPR as GP9u No. 1624, class DS-17. CPR had it equipped with remote control belt-pack equipment. CPR declared the unit to be surplus on 28 April 2015; it was then acquired by Jason Thornhill of the Aspen Crossing Railway. It took some time to get delivery of the unit as the west end of the Lomond Spur, which provides the access to the Aspen Crossing Railway, was blocked by CPR's stored grain hoppers. The photos show the unit with its train on 14 May 2016, along with 9 cars, including the three stainless steel cars acquired by Aspen Crossing from the Ontario Northland Railway in October of 2015. ( Report by Cor van Steenis with his photos)
Photo credits of the railway operation photos goes to Michael Shufelt. Used with permission.
The goal is to buy and restore old Newfoundland railway motor cars and use them again on the little remaining track we have left on the island. As well, buy antiques from private collections and put them on display for people to see. As well as do track work to preserve what we have left to run on.
Being a narrow gauge railway, it is near impossible to get parts for the motor cars so everything has to be hand made as In cabs and more expense parts to make the motor car look the way it is supposed to. Right now we have one restored m19 and we have another m19 unrestored. A 4cyl Ford pinto motor car unrestored and a original Newfoundland railway pump car ( 2 known to exist)
Thanks. Contact me, Trevor Croft.
Question: What do swordswallowers and lumberjacks, train tunnels and rubber ducks, parades and carnivals, cotton candy and rib dinners, politicians and snakes, and dancers and a Ferris wheels all have in common? Answer: They are part of the four-day Rails to Trails festival that starts here August 31. 2017.
Full story here: http://www.recorder.ca/2017/08/09/rails-to-trails-cant-fail
The Credit Valley Explorer at times will run with a dome, and they also have an unpowered RDC-9 used as a coach.
Cando's popular Credit Valley Explorer out of Orangeville, Ontario, is now operating with a Budd-built Dome! Originally Wabash 202, then Norfolk and Western, and finally Amtrak, the car has been totally refurbished. It is a big hit with passengers, and is seen here on Sept 27 at Orangeville, and during a brief pause at Cataract. (Steve Bradley photos).
Owen Sound's Rail and Marine Museum reopens: http://tinyurl.com/hwts2ls
Ex-CN Dining Car arrives August 17 2015 (Photos Barry Westhouse) http://tinyurl.com/jqb2x3w
The operators of the Marine & Rail Museum have set the wheels in motion to bring a 60-year-old train car to Owen Sound. Richard Thomas, president of the Community Waterfront Heritage Centre, told city council Monday night that the 1954 former Canadian National Railway dining car would make a great addition to the west-side museum, which is housed inside of a former CN train station. This is a bit up in the air at this point. It's going to take a bit of fundraising to bring the car to Owen Sound and then of course we will have to take a look at the tracks and where we want to put it he told council during a delegation. Thomas said the car, which a CWHC board member spotted in another Ontario community, is available free of charge to whoever is willing to pay the bill to move it. A preliminary estimate has pegged the cost to transport it to the museum in Owen Sound at about $20,000, he told council.
The CWHC plans to launch some fundraisers to cover that cost. Thomas said the outside of the train car needs a paint job, but the all-original interior is in good shape and has a working kitchen and full dining area. It would fit in nicely with the CWHC's plan to make food available at the museum property, he said. A stretch of railroad tracks from the days when the city-owned former CN building was a train station were left on the museum property. A 104-year-old train car, which was converted into a caboose in 1947 and was once a birthday party venue at McDonald's restaurant, now sits on the track. Thomas said the CWHC would like to see the dining car join the caboose on the tracks.
It is one of the two large exhibits that the CWHC hopes to bring to the museum in the near future. The other is a lifeboat that was once aboard the MS Chi-Cheemaun ferry and is now sitting in storage. City Coun. Peter Lemon said bringing the dining car to the museum would be a "dream come true" and would help to make the facility even more of a destination on the west side of the harbour. The greater the mass of displays you have outside, the more people it will attract to the museum, he said during the council meeting. Thomas said the CWHC would have to tweak its lease agreement for the CN station with the city before the train car arrives.
The Elgin County Railway Museum is using local resources to help raise enough funds to construct a badly needed roof at its 225 Wellington St. facility.
Partnering with the Elgin St. Thomas Community Foundation (ESCF), the museum is utilizing a managed fund the foundation will invest and the museum will use the money toward the application of matching grants. These government grants will be needed to offset the cost of the roofing project, estimated at $1.6 million.
"Our Full-Steam Ahead - Phase 1 Capital Restoration fundraising campaign is building momentum," said Dawn Miskelly, Elgin County Railway Museum executive director.
Since the roofing project is so cost prohibitive, Miskelly said the initiative will be done in phases. The first phase will focus on the centre roof portion, estimated to cost $570,000. This, she advised, will open up more of the building's square footage to the public. Presently, the museum only uses about 25% of the building's square footage for public use.
"The centre block of the roof would open up about 35% of the building's footprint," she added. "We could use this for public programming or special events."
In 2014, the Elgin County Railway Museum contracted SJMA Heritage Architect Ed van der Maarel to develop a restoration plan for the building. The total cost of the entire Phase 1 of the restoration plan is estimated to be $6.11 million. This represents the amount needed to fully restore the building including a new roof, windows, brickwork and restoration of significant features within the building.
Full story here: http://tinyurl.com/zjh57sv
The Niagara Railway Museum Inc., located in the former CNR diesel shop at 21 Warren St. in Fort Erie will be holding their Fall Railway Days at theshop. New displays and exhibits, model railways, and historic artifacts.
The Museum finished off 2016 with the movement of ex-CNR flanger #56323, which was donated by Genaire Ltd, and moved from Niagara District Airport to Fort Erie on December 9th. The wood car was built in 1935, and finished its life as a meeting room at the airport. Because the car is empty inside, it will be used by the Museum for meetings and rotating displays.
In 2017, the Niagara Railway Museum Inc. celebrates its 20th Anniversary, and there are a lot of things planned. Opening weekend is May 13th & 14th, 10am - 4pm both days, rain or shine. The Museum will also be at the Canada 150 celebrations in Ridgeway, have a second open weekend on July 8 & 9, and finish the year with their biggest event ever, RailDays. All this in addition to being open Saturdays from June to October. But that's not all. The Museum continues to grow and bring in displays and equipment.
In December 2016, in cooperation with the TH&B Historical Society, and CP Rail, the Niagara Railway Museum Inc. officially became the owner of the last Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo Railway 2600 series gondola. The car was built by National Steel Car in Hamilton in February 1966. In 2016 the car reached the end of its 50yr life span and was able to be set aside for preservation.
At this time the Museum is making plans to get the car moved to their site in Fort Erie as soon as possible. They have already raised half of the funds needed to move the car, but are in need of another $1800 to finish the move. They would like to see the car moved on site before opening weekend. Any money raised above the moving cost will go towards the restoration of the car. Information on upcoming events in 2017, along with other ways to help move the gondola can be found on the website at www.nfrm.ca.
As a Charitable Organization, the NRM is able to issue tax receipts for any donations over $25. Donations can be made online through our secure provider, Canada Helps. The link to the TH&B 2676 fund can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/mz5rfw8
Work is progressing on the newest arrival, PSTR no.4 (she has no name yet), Lots of sanding, filling, grinding and a little primer and green paint to the inside of the cab. This old senior loco (70) has a lot of wrinkles, scratches, gouges that are going to stay with it. Not perfect but character added indeed! Back in its history, the entire top of the cab was replaced for some reason. Shapes, openings and panels have been changed or added and this has made this rebuild a lot more challenging. The final work is still a long way off. It is a lot closer however than it was last fall when it arrived from the Windsor scrap yard. This GE 45T was built in 1946 and was owned by the Zalev Brothers Co. Earlier this year four new windows and sliderails were bmade and added to the switcher.
The engineer's side window has had a lot of poor work from its last owners. Welded holes for attachments were ground off and weld used to fill up the holes. Some of the window rubber left over from PSTR car 63 window replacement was recycled. The other side did not need as much work except for grinding and welding. The entire locomotive was coated with a fine rust dust from its days in the scrap yard in Windsor. Pressure washing and muriatic acid cleaned this off. A fine job of replacing the coupler pockets and couplers as well as new angle cocks has been done. The PSTR boom truck was real handy for this kind of work. The floor was raised anmd mechanical repairs and eventual repainting is in progress on PSTR #4, but many more days of work before this 70 year old GE becomes "pride of the fleet". (Via Don McQueen with photo and report by Al Howlett).
THE PORT STANLEY TERMINAL RAILWAY ROSTER:
PSTR L1 "Stanley" GE 25T built in 1955 (Former Consolidated Sand and Gravel). PSTR L2 "Donald" CLC/Whitcombe 50T Built in 1950 (Former Consolidated Sand and Gravel).
PSTR L3 "Winnie" GE 44T Built in 1947 (Great Winnipeg Water District #103) PSTR L5 "Albert" is a 25T built by CLC / Whitcomb Former Consolidaed Sand and Gravel).
Canadian Pacific Railway historic locomotive and rail car interiors damaged on the South Simcoe Railway in Tottenham, Ontario. Provincial police are investigating after vandals damaged a train at the South Simcoe Railway.
According to Nottawasaga OPP, an unknown number of suspects vandalized a locomotive and two rail cars at the historic Tottenham location.
Police say the suspects broke several windows and damaged or destroyed antiques in one of the cars.
Full story here: http://tinyurl.com/guhw7ch
On January 12th 2015, 12 city council members voted to approve the formation of a heritage transportation committee for the purpose of investigating the possibility of the creation of a transportation museum in Thunder Bay. Our city is one of the pivotal transportation hubs in Canada and we have a rich and diverse history. From the First Nations Peoples and voyageurs who used the canoe, to Great Lakes shipping, rail and aviation, Thunder Bay has been a recognized leader in transportation in Canada.
Thunder Bay also has a rich history in the manufacturing field producing war planes during the Second World War. During the post-war boom of the 1940s and 50s Fort William manufactured Brill transit trolleys that were used across the country. Port Arthur was the first city to build a unicipally-owned street car system in Canada and the list of firsts goes on and on.
We believe that its time for Thunder Bay to have its own place to showcase what we have accomplished for the world to see.
The first meeting of the heritage transportation committee was held at 7 p.m., on Feb. 18th at the Unifor Union Hall at 516 S. High St.
Anyone and everyone with an interest in any form of transportation is welcome to attend and participate.
The Cape Race is now lettered CANADIAN PACIFIC and is on display at the Roundhouse Museum in Toronto. Photos courtesy of Bob Merriam who painted it shared his photos with us.
The Cape Race was built for the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1929 as the River Liard. The car was one of a series of 15 River cars fabricated at National Steel Car in Hamilton for $66,300 apiece. The opulent interiors were finished at CP's Angus Shops in Montreal and featured individual ladies and gentlemen's showers, leather-upholstered smoking rooms, ladies lounge and observation parlour as well as a small buffet to serve snacks and beverages.
Instead of the traditional open observation platform on the rear, the cars featured a high-windowed solarium furnished with eight leather chairs. In an era long before exposure to the sun's ultra-violet rays was considered harmful, CP promoted these solarium-lounge cars with their health-giving VITA GLASS Sun Parlors. The River cars were unusual in that they contained no revenue-producing space; they were completely for the comfort of passengers occupying space in other sleeping cars. The cars were built primarily for CP's Trans-Canada Limited, an all-sleeping car train between Montreal/Toronto and Vancouver that ran in the summers only between 1919 and 1930. In the winter, the cars operated on the Toronto-Vancouver Dominion as well as other CP trains. In 1931, due to the deepening Depression, CP cancelled the Trans-Canada Limited and mothballed most of the River cars since they were too expensive to operate.
Michael Berry photographed preserved CN GP7 4803 on December 26th 2014 on display at the Toronto Railway Heritage Centre, located at the former CP John Street Roundhouse, in downtown Toronto
A wonderful interview by one of our Directors, Dave Banks, speaking to Craig Norris from CBC Radio 89.1 on this morning's "Morning Edition" about our Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program grant to help build our new St. Jacobs Market Station. http://tinyurl.com/hm7gj39
Thousands of dollars in vandalism done to York-Durham Heritage Train in Uxbridge: http://tinyurl.com/jkbt8v7
Some pictures of the progress on the renovations... http://tinyurl.com/hxtatmz
Exporail, the Canadian Railway Museum will be open to the public according to the following schedule during the month of February, 2019:
February 1 to 28, 2019: Friday to Sunday 10:00 to 17:00 (10:00 AM to 5:00 PM) and weekdays for groups, by reservation only.
Complete 2019 Program available on our website www.exporail.org
Rocky Mountain Express IMAX film (full length feature movie featuring steam locomotive 2816) now showing in the Exporail mini-theatre! (Modest $ 4 up-charge applicable). The English presentation is at 1:30 PM
VIA 6309 Restoration Fund
VIA Locomotive 6309 an FP9A outside the shop for steam cleaning of the underbody after the start of restoration We still need your support to complete the restoration so it can be restored to its former glory and placed in the Angus pavilion. Please go to our website www.exporail.org and click on Fundraising Campaign for 6309, all donations are income tax deductible. Stephen Cheasley Photo
Alice Macredie (1913 - 2006) Watercolour Exhibition
Watercolours from Alice Macredie painted in memory of the works of her father JRC Macredie, engineer. JRC Macredie was in charge of the construction of bridges and overpasses in the Western Canada. This exhibition combines art, history and engineering. A family work: Macredie, father and daughter, exhibition open until May 31, 2019.
The January - February issue of Canadian Rail features an article on Heritage Park's restoration of their CPR Colonist Car; CPR Pay cars; 2018 Digital Photo Gallery; Bytown's restoration of CNR 6200; Bombardier's new LRV plant at Millhaven, Ontario plus the usual Heritage Business Car and CRHA / Exporail news round out the January - February issue. Canadian Rail is mailed to CRHA members and is available at the Exporail Boutique and better hobby shops across Canada.
The Hull-Wakefield Steam Train with CPR G5a #1201 video from 1982: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALUvHLrgM6Y
CP Valley Junction Station fund drive: http://player.vimeo.com/video/64576762
Le train du Massif de Charlevoix: http://www.lemassif.com/en/train
Latest news here: http://tinyurl.com/zlrds8a
With Gary Southgate's permission, (who owns these two passenger cars) RPCX 5307 and TPCS 5302 were shot at the Saskatchewan Railway Museum near Saskatoon on Sunday November 27th.
On April 16th, 1977, Gil Ford shot D&H GP39-2 7601 leading train CX-1 up the grade in Lanesboro, PA on the D&H Penn Division. The train has tail end pushers and will now slowly pass beneath the impressive arches of the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad Starrucca Viaduct. Note the uniquely D&H standard double track signal mast located to the right. In this photo, the mast and signal box appear to have been recently repainted.
On the rear of the same train (D&H CX-1), is another great looking Alco pusher set. A pair of ex-Leigh Valley C420's (D&H 409 and 411 still in LV Cornell Red, with D&H patches), are shoving the tail end of CX-1 up the grade in Lanesboro, PA on April 16th, 1977. (Gil Ford photos).
The Adirondack Scenic Railroad currently operates between Utica and Big Moose and between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid. The Adirondack Railway Preservation Society, which operates the railroad, wants it to become a continuous ride from Utica to Lake Placid.
The Adirondack Recreational Trail Advocates wants 90 miles of recreational trails to support activities such as biking and snowmobiling.
As a compromise, the state departments of transportation and environmental conservation proposed plans that would entail rehabilitating railway between Big Moose and Tupper Lake, and ripping up tracks between Tupper Lake and Lake Placid to implement a 34-mile recreational trail.
At the railway museum in Danbury, CT , Roman Litarchick snapped the only MLW FPA4 / FPB4 in Zebra stripes. Even with the nose logo is a little wonky on CN 6786, we may rejoice as at least one MLW FPA4 / FPB4 are in this great paint scheme! It was taken in January 2014.
The National New York Central Railroad Museum, located in Elkhart, Ind., recaptures the glory days when the America's railroads were symbols of progress and goodwill ambassadors across the country.
This group is restoring the Skytop parlour-observation car "Cedar Rapids", similar in appearance to the ex-Milwaukee sleeper-observations once used by CN. You may be interested in supporting them.
Built in 1902, Marion Union Station now serves as a railroad museum and train watching spot. Check their Facebook page for times and direction
The Mad River & NKP Railroad Society, a non-profit organization, chose this as part of our name when we formed. In 1976 we opened the museum as a lasting bicentennial project. Henry Flagler, who built the Florida East Coast Railroad once lived on the property where the museum is now located.
Lake Shore Railway Society General Electric Dash-7 Locomotive
CSX #5554 is restored as C&O #8272 and donated to Lake Shore Railway Historical Society
NORTH EAST, PENN. -- Lake Shore Railway Historical Society is pleased to announce it has received a donation of a restored Chesapeake & Ohio "Chessie Cat"-era locomotive, C&O #8272, courtesy of CSX Transportation, Inc.
The 1980 Erie-built General Electric B30-7 locomotive, CSX #5554 (retired in 2009), received cosmetic restoration and has been returned to its 'as-delivered' C&O "Chessie Cat" paint scheme by the talented craftspeople of the CSX railroad shops in Huntington, W.V. CSX has donated the renamed C&O locomotive #8272 to Lake Shore Railway Historical Society where it will become part of the museum's educational programming and display. At Lake Shore Railway Museum, operated by the Lake Shore Historical Society volunteers, C&O #8272 will join seven (7) other General Electric locomotives in the "Locomotives that Dad & Grandpa Built Collection."
Ray Grabowski, Jr., president of Lake Shore Railway Historical Society, said "It is amazing what the dedicated professionals at CSX's Huntington shops have accomplished. On behalf of Lake Shore Railway Historical Society and our entire community, I want to thank everyone at CSX for this incredible gift, especially the skilled craft workers who contributed to make the donation happen."
Founded in 1982 the museum is devoted to the railway heritage of the USA. This is their latest project: The corporation purchased former CN F9A 9167 from NRE in Silvis, and it is becoming Santa Fe F7A #49 in full red and silver Warbonnet paint:
Two former CPR Pacific steam locomotives, 1238 and 1286 have been stored in Virginia for years, apparently in good shape! The owner passed away a few months ago. http://tinyurl.com/h3w7mzq
Are you a railway museum, tourist railway, railroad DVD distributor, or photographer?
Have you written or pubished a new railway book?
We have your required railfan demographic!
Contact CRO to learn more about our advertising and promotional opportunities.
All photos used with permission of the photographer. Contact the editor if you feel your photo has been used without permission.
Copyright CRO 2019